How can you fight negativity bias in your organization?
Here is a short list:
- Build trust with employees, peers, and supervisors.
- Start some form of mindfulness group or bring in outside help to do so.
- Discuss negativity bias and share information about how it works and why it exists.
- Be as transparent as possible.
- Make your expectations clear and communicate what needs to be done.
- Have high expectations for people and delegate tasks, even challenging tasks. Give people a chance to grow.
- Assist people with hard conversations but don't do the have those conversations for them.
- Discuss Circle of Concern and Circle of Influence from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
- Invest in employee training.
- Run a book group or other professional development discussion.
- Do not retain employees who generate negativity in the office.
- Seek clients and customers who align with your culture.
- Encourage self-awareness.
- Hold people accountable and tell them where they need improvement.